How Universities Can Safeguard Students’ Mental Health
The Need For Student Wellness Tracking Programs In Higher Education
As per the latest TimelyMD (telehealth provider) Back-to-School 2022 survey report,
- 88% of students believe a mental health crisis exists on college campuses in the U.S.
- 54% of them agree that increased distress and anxiety have impacted the quality of education.
- Only 18% of the students said they get all resources and support from their academic institution.
Looking at these stats, it is clear that the Covid-19 pandemic has brought many unique challenges and has redefined how universities approach their educational framework. As the virus becomes endemic, universities re-evaluate their campus ecosystems nationwide and choose more holistic student monitoring and assessment models.
Adopting an AI-driven SaaS product like Cocolevio’s Learning Information Management System LIMS can make a huge difference.
When the emphasis is on plugging students’ wellness data points into the campus management software platforms, it helps the policymakers take data-backed actions that create a supportive environment for students to thrive. This Data Analytics (DA) aided process can improve the overall academic success rate of the university tremendously.
Here are the top three tech-supported trends used in higher education for mapping and promoting students’ wellness quotient:
Measuring performance using regular online surveys and assessments
Student mental health support staff and faculty members should be empowered with platforms that help conduct online well-being checks. They can be in the form of simple quizzes, email polls, online community events, etc. Such exercises can also measure the impact of mental health programs on campus and help universities gauge students’ stress levels & concerns effectively. A stress-free interactive campus creates a ‘safe’ space for students, making college life fun, adaptive, personalized, and much more inclusive.
IoT for Smart Campus
The Internet of Things (IoT) devices can keep the campus members (students, faculty, and administrators) connected and well-informed. They can serve the following purposes:
- Worry notifications and requests for counseling
- Routine alarms for better time management
- Automated security system integration for campus surveillance
- Automatic enforcement of identification and authentication for campus permissions
- One-click privileged access to mental health advisors.
- Sense of community – Personalized communication from the university management generates a sense of belongingness for the students. It also makes students more participative in community activities.
In a recent Salesforce report, it was seen that,
- 77% of students said getting personalized messages made them feel their college cared about their success.
- 28% of students felt their institution’s online communities gave them a sense of belonging during the pandemic.
Artificial Intelligence (AI) and data analytics
Integrating a dynamic, AI-driven analytical tool into the university’s Information Management Systems allows the institution to process data intelligently and get intuitive insights into their students’ academic progress and overall well-being. Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Management is changing how universities manage student relationships, performance assessments, and curriculum development strategies.
LIMS: Empowering Medical Schools with Data that Matters
If you are a medical college looking to migrate to a more advanced and scalable learner Information Management software, LIMS, developed by Cocolevio, is a perfect choice. By deploying LIMS, you get an excellent all-inclusive tech infrastructure and a ‘Student Wellness’ module that could significantly boost your decision-making quality. The platform’s built-in Machine Learning algorithm provides critical wellness indicators regarding students’ mental, physical, and emotional health.
- Some cool features of the LIMS Wellness indicators module are:
- Students can contribute valuable information about their sleep, exercise, weight, etc.
- Integration of a student’s fitness details and self-report of their current state of mind & attitude
- Students can see their overall community wellness and contribute information on a community bulletin board.
- The module sends notifications to assigned healthcare professionals when a student community member might need support.
- The university management can import mindset survey results as an assessment.
To know more about LIMS, contact our sales representative at (512) 222-5730 for a detailed product demo.